Salty Words

"Let your speech always be with grace, as though seasoned with salt, so that you will know how you should respond to each person." (Colossians 4:6, NASB) I do want my speech always be with grace. Recently, I have been struggling with expressing my thoughts. The thing is I was just moved to Melbourne to pursue higher education in human rights law, and I found myself in a class filled with English-speaking people. Not just 'people', but law-minded people. And that's the thing. I encountered difficulties in catching up and actively engaging with certain discussion at my previous classes. And I realized it was mostly because I couldn't fully understand what the lecturer and my other classmates were saying. As much as I wanted to say something, I wasn't confident enough because I was afraid of saying something out of my failure to hear or understand the previous statements made by my lecturer or my classmates. "Let no unwholesome word proceed from your mouth, but only such a word as is good for edification according to the need of the moment, so that it will give grace to those who hear." (Ephesians 4:29) The above verse came to me as an eye-opening. It gives me new perspective on how to see my current condition. The important thing here is not about whether I am able to express a word or not, but whether the words proceed from my mouth are seasoned with grace, and not just some unwholesome words. How then to "Let no unwholesome word proceed from your mouth..." ? The answer is in James 1:19. "Post this at all the intersections, dear friends: Lead with your ears, follow up with your tongue, and let anger straggle along in the rear." (James 1:19, The Message) Lead with my ears means that I must be able to kinda hear my own words first, then decide whether it is gracious to let it proceed out of my mouth. It could also means that I must be a good listener of what other people says, before I actually respond or say anything. A good speaker usually is a good listener. “Let me tell you why you are here. You’re here to be salt-seasoning that brings out the God-flavors of this earth. If you lose your saltiness, how will people taste godliness? (Matthew 5:13, The Message) Grace is illustrated here as a salt. Grace is the God-flavors. That's why our words must be 'salty' (seasoned with grace), for other people to 'taste' God.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Generation Who Seek God

BENAR-BENAR MERDEKA

HARTA DAN HATI