PURPOSE

"So I run straight to the goal with purpose in every step. I fight to win." - 1 Corinthians 9:26a (Living Bible)

Whatever you do, do it with a purpose. 

What's that so important about having purpose in everything we do? Purpose gives me focus. Purpose reminds me of what matters most. Purpose guards me from taking or making wrong choices. Purpose clears my motivation. Purpose sets me apart. Purpose keeps me going. 

What is my purpose ?

To know Christ and make Him known.

"[For my determined purpose is] that I may know Him [that I may progressively become more deeply and intimately acquainted with Him, perceiving and recognizing and understanding the wonders of His Person more strongly and more clearly]," - Philippians 3:10

How ? 

"Like an athlete I punish my body, treating it roughly, training it do what it should, not what it wants to. Otherwise I fear that after enlisting others for the race, I myself might be declared unfit and ordered to stand aside." - 1 Corinthians 9:27 (Living Bible)

I am an athlete. Athlete means prizefighter, contestant in the games. As an athlete, I must be fit. How am I going to be fit? By TRAINING MY BODY to do what IT SHOULD, NOT what IT WANTS TO.

This body is not to dictate me. This body is not to be treated nicely. This body is not to be entertained. This body is to be PUNISHED. Punishment doesn't necessarily to be a bad thing. Punishment also means correction. God corrects us because He loves us. Therefore, punishment or correction should be a good thing. If we do it out of love. How do we know if we do it out of love? Jesus said, if you love Me you will obey My commandments. And since we love God, we want to obey His commandments, which one of them is found in the passage that we just read. 

Training our body to do what it should, is not a condition put forward here in order for us to be like Christ, but it is a fruit or a product of being transformed into the image of Christ. We are not trying to be like Christ by our own efforts, we are being transformed into His image by the Spirit.

"And we all, with unveiled face, continually seeing as in a mirror the glory of the Lord, are progressively being transformed into His image from [one degree of] glory to [even more] glory, which comes from the Lord, [who is] the Spirit." (2 Corinthians 3:18)








Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Generation Who Seek God

BENAR-BENAR MERDEKA

HARTA DAN HATI